People in California do not have enough water – level 3
The severe drought gripping the western US is drying up major water reservoirs like Lake Mendocino in California.
The tourist town is just feet away from the largest water reservoir on the planet, the Pacific Ocean; however, the town is running out of water. Meteorologists or weather men and women say that this has been one of the worst droughts in the last 100 years. Small businesses in the town are on the edge of closing down to recover. Some apartments and businesses don´t have enough water to flush the toilets, and they spend thousands of dollars to buy water from delivery trucks just to stay open. The town is turning to neighboring cities to buy water; however, those cities are stopping the sales because they´re running out, too.
Mendocino can´t keep up with the tourist demand, and water officials are seeking ways to help restaurants and hotels survive because local people also depend on them. Some suggest that building a desalination plant is the only solution, as the weather forecast is not promising to refill the reservoirs.
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.