People in South Korea become younger – level 1
In South Korea, people become one year old at birth. Always on January 1st, they become another year older. It means that if you are born on 31st December, you are two years old the next day.
For some people, this system is confusing. It makes problems during the COVID-19 pandemic. The country now changes how it counts ages. It will be similar to most countries in the world. It will make everyone in South Korea one or two years younger. Some people will still use the old way sometimes. But most people prefer the new way.
In some situations, the old system will continue. For example, buying alcohol, starting school, and doing military service.
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What effects do you think the new system will have on society in South Korea?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.