People look for meteorites – level 1
A meteorite is a piece of rock. It falls from the sky. It can weigh a few grams. The biggest meteorites weigh almost 60 tons.
Meteorites come from an asteroid belt between Mars and Jupiter. The asteroid belt is a place with many asteroids in space. Asteroids go around the sun.
Many meteorites fall in Morocco. People look for them. These people are meteorite hunters. They walk through the dunes. They write about a meteorite when they find it. They take a picture of it.
Many meteorites are in museums around the world. Scientists in Morocco start a university in 2016. They study meteorites there. Meteorites are very important for them.
Difficult words: weigh (to be heavy), asteroid (a piece of rock which travels around the sun), dune (a hill of sand).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos