People look for meteorites – level 2
A meteorite is a piece of rock which falls from the sky, and it can weigh from a few grams to more than 60 tons. Scientists think that meteorites come from the asteroid belt between Mars and Jupiter.
Morocco is a country where many meteorites fall, and people called meteorite hunters search large areas to find them. Sometimes they spend months walking through the dunes until they find something. When they find a meteorite, they write all the details about it into a technical card. They write exactly where they found it, and they take a picture of the place.
Meteorites are very important for scientists, but many meteorites end up in museums around the world. In 2016, Abderrahmane Ibhi created a university in Adagir, Morocco, where scientists study meteorites. They want meteorites to stay in Morocco because meteorites are an important part of the country´s geology.
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.