People look for meteorites – level 3
A meteorite is a fragment of rock or iron from outer space that survives the trip through the atmosphere to reach the surface of the earth.
Meteorites are believed to originate in the asteroid belt between the planets of Mars and Jupiter. A meteorite may be in size from less than a gram to more than 60 tons.
Meteorites, prevalent in Morocco, help expand scientific research, and meteorite hunters like Ali Lamghari spend months roaming the sand dunes searching for them. Sometimes they find a meteorite and sometimes they don´t. When they do, they complete a technical card for it, record the GPS coordinates of the place, and they take a picture of the exact spot where the sample was found.
More than 50% of the meteorites that are in international museums or laboratories were found in Morocco, and they give great scientific information. On this basis, the University Museum of Meteorites was established in Adagir, Morocco, in 2016. Its aim is to preserve meteorite samples and to limit Morocco´s loss of its geological history that is sold to foreigners and international museums.
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.