People Protest against Masks – level 3
A group of anti-mask protesters marched through a store in Fort Lauderdale, Florida.
The group of about a dozen anti-maskers was mostly young, and it included several children. Protesters urged confused shoppers to remove their face coverings on ´Burn Your mask Day´. The group marched through aisles of the supermarket shouting at people to take their masks off.
In July, the US president urged citizens to wear masks in public and to follow social distancing rules. However, the statement was a complete turn from his previous rhetoric on mask usage. Previously, he refused to wear a mask and to put it on in front of the press because he did not want to be photographed wearing the covering.
According to Johns Hopkins University, Florida has had 670,000 new cases of COVID-19 over the summer, and almost 13,000 people have died because of COVID-19.
Difficult words: anti-mask protesters (people who protest against wearing face masks during the COVID-19 pandemic), social distancing (keeping a safe distance from other people in order to slow the spread of a disease), rhetoric (the way of speaking in front of public, and the way you make an argument).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.