People swim in icy river – level 2
Alfred Nikodem was a goldsmith who lived in Prague, Czech Republic. He was a hardy man, and in 1923, a few of his friends and he swam in the icy Vltava River.
Five years later, more than 50 people swam with him, and it started a new tradition, which lasted nearly one hundred years.
Last week, 360 swimmers from eight countries were in the 75th swim in Vltava. They swam 100, 300, or 750 meters in the water which was three to four degrees Celsius, and it was the lowest in many years. The air temperature was minus six degrees, and many onlookers stood along the river in winter coats and hats.
Difficult words: goldsmith (a person who makes things from gold), hardy (very strong and brave), onlooker (a person who is watching something happening in a public place, but he is not taking part).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos