People want their money – level 2
Three years ago, an economic crisis started in Lebanon. To avoid an economic collapse, banks put limits on how much money people could take from their accounts.
People were angry about the limits, and many people frequently demanded their money with violence. Last week, a man with a gun came to a bank in Beirut. He said that he wouldn’t leave until he got all his savings. Similar incidents happened in at least five other banks in the country. Many people usually go in front of banks to support the attackers.
Officials warned that these incidents destroyed order in the country. Except for ordinary people, these attackers were heroes.
Difficult words: collapse (to fail), order (a time to follow rules and laws), hero (a person who people admire for what he does).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos