People want their money – level 3
Since an economic crisis started three years ago, Lebanon’s banks have locked most depositors out of their savings.
Last week on Friday, an armed man entered a bank in Beirut, and he demanded his savings. A large crowd of people gathered outside, and they cheered the man. He said he wouldn’t leave until the bank paid him his money. Several other armed customers stormed at least five banks to demand access to their own funds.
Such holdups have become increasingly frequent as the country sinks deeper into the economic crisis. Banks were forced to push strict limits on currency withdrawals to avoid economic failure. The interior minister warned that the attacks destroyed order in the country, but many people believe that the desperate depositors are folk heroes.
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.