Peru crisis – level 2
On December 7, 2022, Dina Boluarte became Peru’s new president, the sixth one since 2016.
Pedro Castillo was the president before Boluarte, but the Congress of Peru removed him from office after officials accused him of serious crimes. Castillo’s supporters protested and demanded new presidential elections. Boluarte promised to hold early elections, but this change didn’t stop the protests.
More than 14 people died last week. Last weekend, seven of Castillo’s supporters died and more than 50 were hurt in clashes in the city of Ayacucho. In some parts of the country, people must stay indoors between because it is too dangerous to be outside at certain hours.
Difficult words: demand (to ask for something forcefully), supporter (a person who likes a certain public figure or political party), clash (a fight).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos