Pesticide Ban – level 2
California bans the sale of a pesticide called chlorpyrifos because it causes brain damage in children. Farmers use it on many crops. State officials say that the pesticide is more toxic than they thought. People designated it as toxic in 2018.
An environmental agency signed a deal with the pesticide maker to end the sale of this pesticide in February 2020. However, farmers can use it until the end of 2020. Farmers also get financial support to make a safer alternative.
California Governor, Gavin Newsom, is happy with the new deal. He says that it is a big victory for children, workers, and public health.
Difficult words: toxic (unhealthy, poisonous), designate (classify as), financial support (financial help).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos