Philippines plastic crisis – level 1
Southeast Asia has big problems with plastic. One reason is that people have little money. They can’t buy big bottles and bags of everyday products. They buy small plastic bags instead.
These small bags usually contain only one portion of something. Examples are coffee, detergent, and many other things. One bag costs less money. Sadly, it is much more expensive than a big bag.
In the Philippines, these small bags are a big problem. Every day, people throw away around 163 million of them. Plastic is everywhere. People cannot recycle the bags.
Officials must change the laws. Sadly, they do little to solve the problems. Big companies promise to help. They know that plastic is very bad for the natural world.
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.