Pierre Cardin Dies – level 1
Pierre Cardin is a famous fashion designer. Cardin is born in Italy in 1922. Italy is not a safe country for his family then. They move to France in 1926.
Cardin works for theatre and film. He makes masks and costumes. Cardin starts to work for Christian Dior in 1946. He starts his own business four years later.
Cardin’s clothes are unusual. They look futuristic. Cardin starts to sell clothes in department stores. His business style is different to other designers. He uses his name for other products, too. He sells perfumes, watches, cigarettes, and cars. He makes a lot of money.
Cardin dies last week. He is 98 years old.
Difficult words: fashion designer (a person who makes new clothes), mask (something that a person puts on his face and he looks like somebody or something else), costume (clothes that actors wear in theatres or films), futuristic (something very modern and unusual)
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos