Pink diamond – level 3
In Hong Kong, people sold a rare pink diamond for 49.9 million dollars, and it set a world record for the highest price per carat for a diamond sold at auction.
The 11.15-carat Williamson Pink Star diamond was auctioned by Sotheby’s Hong Kong, and its original estimate was 21 million dollars. It was the second largest pink diamond to appear at auction, and its name comes from two legendary pink diamonds.
The first one is the 23.60-carat Williamson diamond that Queen Elizabeth II got as a wedding gift in 1947. The second diamond is the 59.60-carat Pink Star diamond that sold for a record 71.2 million dollars at auction in 2017.
Pink diamonds are among the rarest and most valuable of the colored diamonds. Of all the diamonds, less than 3% are classified as colored diamonds, and less than 5% of those are considered predominantly pink. A pink diamond rarely weighs over 10 carats.
Difficult words: carat (a unit to measure the weight of diamonds and other precious stones), legendary (very famous and admired), predominantly (mostly).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos