Pizza for Thanksgiving – level 3
Due to record grocery costs, Americans are seeking alternatives to the traditional Thanksgiving dinner at home.
Prices went up because bird flu reduced the supply of turkeys, California’s drought shrunk vegetable amounts, and few employees are working in food processing and transportation. Turkeys now cost 1.99 dollars a pound compared to 1.15 dollars a year ago. Similarly, the prices went up for potatoes by 18%, for butter by 27%, and for vegetables by 19%.
According to surveys, many Americans are going to hold smaller dinners or eliminate at least one dish to save money. One in five Americans worry that they won’t have enough money for Thanksgiving.
Gen Z is the most financially constrained demographic; they are planning for soup, salad, and pizza. They’re also more willing to ask their friends to pay for their part of the feast.
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.