Plane Crash in Ethiopia – level 2
Last Sunday, a plane from Addis Ababa (the capital of Ethiopia) to Nairobi (the capital of Kenya) went down. Contact with the plane was lost shortly after take-off.
A total of 157 people were on board – 8 crew and 149 passengers of more than 30 nationalities. No one survived the crash. We do not know what caused the plane to go down.
For example, the weather was clear. Authorities are investigating the crash.
This crash is similar to another crash in the Java Sea last year. Both planes in both crashes were Boeings 737 Max-8, and both crashed shortly after take-off.
At least 40 countries, including all EU countries, China, India and Ethiopia suspended flights of the Boeing 737 Max-8.
Difficult words: authorities (people from the government or an official institution), investigate (try to find out what happened), suspend (stop for some time).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos