Plankton harms the sea – level 1
Thailand has a big problem. There is too much plankton in the water. Plankton are small things in the water. But when there are too many, it hurts other animals in the sea. This is making it hard for fishermen who grow mussels.
Plankton usually blooms for just one or two days. But this time, there is more plankton than usual. Plankton takes oxygen from the water. Also, it does not let enough sunlight in. It means that some animals and plants can die. In Chonburi, many people grow mussels, but now more than 80% of them are having problems. Fishermen are losing a lot of money.
Scientists do not know exactly why this is happening. Some say that it is because the water is getting too warm and dirty.
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What measures can the Thai government take to help protect and prevent further damage to the sea's ecosystem?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.