Poland protests – level 2
In Poland, a pregnant woman named Dorota died because doctors didn’t allow her to end her pregnancy.
Poland has strict anti-abortion laws, which led to big protests in recent years. Last week, thousands of people protested after Dorota’s death. Activists said that several pregnant women died due to the abortion restrictions. Dorota died of septic shock when her water broke in the 20th week of pregnancy. Her husband said that doctors didn’t tell them it was possible to end the pregnancy. Another woman, Izabela, also died from septic shock in the 22nd week of pregnancy.
Doctors in Poland don’t want to perform abortions, even in cases where it is necessary for the woman’s health. Over 70% of Poles think that the strict law is dangerous for women’s lives and health.
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What actions have been taken by activists in response to the recent tragic deaths of pregnant women in Poland?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.