Police Officer in Prison – level 1
Two weeks ago, four police officers in Minnesota, USA, arrest a black man. Derek Chauvin kneels on the man´s neck. The man dies.
Derek Chauvin is in prison in Minnesota. Officials charge him with murder. The judge offers a bail of $1 million dollars. It means that Chauvin can leave the prison if he pays $1 million dollars.
However, Chauvin must follow some rules. He must not leave Minnesota. He must not keep a gun. He must never work for the police again. Chauvin must pay $1.25 million if he breaks the rules.
Chauvin does a serious crime. It is possible that he can go to prison for 40 years. Officials say that the other officers are Chauvin´s accomplices. They help him kill the black man.
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.