Politics in Haiti – level 3
Haiti’s Prime Minister Jack Guy Lafontant proposed a 47 per cent increase in fuel prices which led to a three-day riot with seven people killed and businesses looted.
Following the unrest, the prime minister announced his resignation. Protesters are now calling for the president to resign, as well, because of severe unemployment.
Difficult words: increase (a growth), riot (protest and fighting), loot (rob and destroy), unrest (protest), announce (officially say something), resignation (resigning – quitting), severe (very bad).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.