Pope Benedict XVI dies – level 2
Emeritus Benedict XVI was Pope between 2005 and 2013. He retired in 2013 because of health problems, and he was the first pope in 600 years who resigned.
Benedict XVI wanted to return Christian values to Europe, and he restarted several Christian traditions.
In 2010, the world learned about sexual abuse by Catholic priests. This scandal affected how people looked at Christians and the Pope, too. When Benedict XVI retired, he only appeared in public for special events.
On Thursday, the funeral of the former pope will happen the Vatican, and current Pope Francis will lead it.
Difficult words: value (an idea that a person considers important in life), sexual abuse (force someone to do sexual activities), scandal (an action or event that many people consider wrong, and they are angry about it).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos