Pope Francis Gives Lunch to the Poor – level 1
Pope Francis goes to a lunch for 1,200 poor people. It is at a Vatican auditorium. The lunch is part of an event. It is the Catholic Church’s first World Day for the Poor. The lunch is veal, pasta and dessert.
Earlier that day, Pope Francis leads a mass. He tells Catholics that helping the poor is a ‘passport to paradise’.
Difficult words: auditorium (a large building that you can use for many types of events), veal (young cow meat), mass (a Christian ceremony), passport to paradise (helping the poor will help you go to Heaven when you die).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos