Problems in car industry – level 2
Some of the biggest automakers are having problems because there are not enough chips for their cars. Volkswagen, Honda and other companies have to make fewer cars, and it will cost them a lot of money.
A consulting company predicted that the cost will be about 110 billion dollars this year, and that it would affect 3.9 million cars.
The problem is that automakers did not want to make long-term deals with companies which made chips. Automakers were afraid that they would have financial problems.
Now, it seems that automakers will have to change their view. Some automakers are making changes, and they will use chips which are not so difficult to buy.
Difficult words: chip (a small important electrical device in a machine), consulting company (a company which advises other companies with their business), long-term (something that lasts a long time).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.