Problems in Madrid – level 2
The police in Madrid, Spain, were cracking down on illegal street sales when an African street vendor tried to run away from them.
The 35-year-old collapsed and later died of cardiac arrest. Madrid’s mayor said that he was sorry that the man died and called for an investigation.
Following the incident, fights between the police and the people broke out, with protesters throwing stones and starting fires.
Difficult words: crack down (punish strongly), vendor (a person who sells something), cardiac arrest (when the heart stops).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos