Problems in the sugar industry – level 2
The war in Ukraine and several other problems are starting to affect the sugar industry.
Ukraine is a very important producer of the sugar beet, a plant that people use to make sugar. When the war started, some farmers stopped harvesting sugar beet, which led to problems for sugar producers. During the last three years, the demand for sugar grew higher than its production, which means that sugar producers are running out of stock.
The EU is the third largest sugar producer in the world, and many factories depend on gas. Sugar factories need a lot of energy, and the EU could soon have problems with gas supplies. If factories can’t create sugar, then farmers will have a huge problem.
Difficult words: producer (a business that makes something), demand (a time when many people want something), stock (material or products which a company keeps to use or sell).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos