Problems in UK clubs – level 3
Young women across the UK say that they are being spiked with needle injections in clubs, and then blacking out, and waking up with no recollection of what happened the night before.
Sarah Buckle, a student at the University of Nottingham, went to the city center with her friends to one of the clubs. Everything seemed fine; however, her friends reported that Sarah stopped talking, and started to be upset and making no sense. She was unable to stand up, and eventually, she fell unconscious. Later, Sarah found a pin prick wound on her hand, and doctors noticed the bruising.
Women in several UK clubs found pin pricks on their backs, arms, or thighs, and there’s been a rise in spiking-drinks throughout the country as well, with some women reporting their drinks being spiked in pubs, as well as nightclubs. The cases have prompted students at multiple universities to boycott nightclubs in their local area in an effort to make them do more against this problem.
Difficult words: spike (to add alcohol or drugs to something without telling anyone), recollection (the ability to remember past events), boycott (to protest when you refuse to buy a product or take part in an activity).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos