Protest in Ukraine – level 2
People are protesting outside the Ukrainian parliament in a camp, as they support the opposition leader Mikheil Saakashvili who is in exile.
They also demand that President Petro Poroshenko resign, and they want an anti-corruption court.
Police came to the camp on Saturday to investigate an earlier conflict, but the situation became worse when they came. People set tires on fire, the police arrested over 100 people and then began demolishing the camp with a tractor.
The National Police says that the policemen found several grenades and the makings of Molotov cocktails on the site.
Difficult words: support (like and want), demand (forcefully ask for something to happen), resign (stop working in a job).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos