Protests and Health – level 3
Experts say that binging, depression, insomnia, and increased blood pressure may occur among people, and it does not matter if people are at protests or if they watch them online or on TV.
Psychologists are warning that the mental drain on the people who are protesting against racism can last long after the protest is over. Even a peaceful protest might be psychologically draining when the situation escalates, and police are pointing guns at individuals.
A professor at the University of Kentucky said that people who are engaged in protests or activism movements are constantly tired both physically and emotionally because their work does not end. Experts recommend activities that can help protesters manage their mental health and process anger and pain, such as meditation, therapy, or journaling.
Difficult words: binging (to do something very much, especially eat or drink), insomnia (inability to sleep), drain (when something pulls your energy), escalate (to become more intense or serious), journaling (keeping a written record of a person´s activities and feelings).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.