Protests Around the World – level 1
Police kill a black man in the US last week. People around the world protest. People do not agree with racism. Many people think that police behave badly towards some people.
Many people protest in France. In 2016, French police arrest a black man. The man later dies. People in Australia protest, too. Australian police kill 400 native Australians. Officials do not try to find out what happens.
Protests start in London, UK, and in South Africa. Many black people live in the UK and in South Africa.
Experts say that the US has a lot of racism. The situation in the US is not easy. Black people say that white people have better lives. However, racism is in many countries of the world.
Difficult words: protest (when many people are in the streets, and they say that they do not agree with something), racism (when somebody does not like somebody else because he has a different skin color or looks different), native (a person whose family from a long time lives in a country for a very long time).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write them in the comments.
- Chat in our Facebook Group for 2 minutes. You can write about today’s news.