Protests Around the World – level 2
People around the world are protesting against racism and police abuse. The protests started in the US last week, after police killed a black man.
In Paris, France, 20,000 people supported US protesters. French people remembered the death of a black man who died in 2016 after police arrested him. Protesters in Australia say that officials did not investigate the death of more than 400 native Australians by police. Thousands of people protested in the UK and in South Africa. Protesters said that minorities did not have the same rights and freedom as other people.
Experts say that there is a lot of racism in the US. However, racism exists in many countries in the world. The death of the black man in the US made minorities around the world upset and angry.
Difficult words: racism (when someone does not like someone else because he has different skin color or looks different in some way), police abuse (when police behave badly towards some people), minority (a smaller group in society that is different from the rest; for example, people with a different skin color or religion).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos