Protests in France – level 3
Last week one of the demonstrations in France killed two people and hundreds were injured. Last weekend, the grass-roots movement drew the support of 250,000 people across France.
The protests are over rising fuel taxes, but the country’s President Emmanuel Macron says that tax rises are needed to reduce the country’s fossil-fuel dependency. Some protesters and many of the anti-government ‘yellow vests’ are also seeking the removal of Emmanuel Macron.
The government deployed around 3,000 security personnel in Paris to keep order this weekend. The riot police used tear gas and a water cannon against protesters on the Champs-Elysees after they turned violent.
Difficult words: grass-roots movement (a type of bottom-up movement), dependency (the fact of being dependent – needing something too much), seek (try to achieve), removal (removing from office), riot (a violent protest).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write them in the comments.
- Chat in our Facebook Group for 2 minutes. You can write about today’s news.