Protests in Hong Kong – level 2
Hong Kong was a British colony which Britain gave back to China in 1997. However, the city is autonomous and its autonomy from China should last until 2047. However, China sometimes signals that it will not wait so long.
Many people in Hong Kong are afraid that China is trying to get more power from Hong Kong. There are protests in Hong Kong at the moment over an extradition law. This law would let China take criminals accused of some crimes in Hong Kong.
The head of Hong Kong’s government says that it is a good law because criminals can be safe in Hong Kong without the law, but people are afraid that China is trying to get more power from this.
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write them in the comments.
- Chat in our Facebook Group for 2 minutes. You can write about today’s news.