Protests in Hong Kong – level 3
Hong Kong’s central government plans to let China request that people in Hong Kong accused of certain crimes be sent to mainland China for trial.
This comes in the context of a murder case in Taiwan – the criminal ended up in Hong Kong’s court system. Hong Kong’s head of government wants to put a stop to this, so that criminals cannot take refuge in the city.
However, pro-democracy activists fear that the new extradition law is another example of China trying to control Hong Kong. People filled the streets to show that they are against the law.
Although Hong Kong is a Chinese city, it is different from the rest of China because it was a British colony. In 1997, Britain handed the territory back under a special agreement with China known as ‘one country, two system’. Hong Kong’s autonomy is supposed to last until 2047, but China has signalled that it might not be willing to wait that long.
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write them in the comments.
- Chat in our Facebook Group for 2 minutes. You can write about today’s news.