Protests in Hong Kong – level 3
Hong Kong protesters have enjoyed a calm night on China’s National Day, ahead of what may be a long struggle for full democracy.
Student demonstrators have vowed to step up their mass pro-democracy protests if Chief Executive CY Leung does not resign.
Many protesters are saying they could start occupying government buildings if he does not quit by Thursday.
Riot police were forced to use tear gas and pepper spray over the weekend, but tensions have eased since then.
The protests are the worst in Hong Kong since China resumed its role of the former British colony in 1997.
Difficult words: struggle (a fight for something), vow (to promise), step up (make stronger), riot police (police who confronts protesters and large crowds), tear gas (gas which hurts your eyes).
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write them in the comments.
- Chat in our Facebook Group for 2 minutes. You can write about today’s news.