Protests in Iraq – level 2
Last week, protests started in Baghdad and other Iraqi areas. The protests were peaceful at first, but they became violent. Iraqi police started to shoot demonstrators and over 100 people died. News organization Reuters says that 6,000 people were hurt.
People protest against corruption and problems with basic services. Also, they are not happy that there are a lot of people without jobs.
The reaction ofthe Iraqi government was very strong. The government said that people cannot stay outside at night, and they cannot use the Internet
A commission wants human rights for Iraqi people. It is important that they can speak freely. The commission also wants demonstrations without force.
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.