Puerto Rico Earthquake – level 1
A very strong earthquake hits Puerto Rico this morning. It damages many houses and historical buildings. There is a lighthouse that is more than 120 years old. One of its walls collapses.
Officials say that there are no dead people. However, many cars crash and walls crack and fall.
There are many small earthquakes in the area. People can feel them. They are close to the land. They are not very deep under the ground.
Scientists expect more smaller earthquakes to hit the island. These smaller earthquakes usually follow a large earthquake. Luckily, scientists do not expect a tsunami.
Difficult words: earthquake (a situation when the ground moves and shakes), lighthouse (a tower with a bright light near that helps to navigate ships), tsunami (a very high wave of water that often comes after an earthquake).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos