Rainbow flag – level 2
The rainbow flag is the symbol of LGBTQ people. LGBTQ people are lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and queer pride. Today, it seems that the flag is everywhere, but this was not always the case.
In 1978, an openly gay artist, Gilbert Baker, designed the first rainbow flag. He loved flags, and he thought that they were very powerful.
People could see the first rainbow flag at the Gay Freedom Day parade in San Francisco, California. It quickly became very popular not only in the city but in all the world. The flag had eight stripes of different colors, but the design changed more times, and different people preferred different flags.
Nowadays, some people prefer a flag which also has a brown and black stripe. They show that people of all color were very important in the history of the LGBTQ community.
Difficult words: transgender (a person who feels to be a man but he was born as a woman, and the opposite way), queer (different from what is usual), pride (when somebody is happy with what he did or who he is).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.