Return Rosetta Stone to Egypt – level 2
The Rosetta Stone is a piece of black stone from 196 BC. It bears three inscriptions in Greek, Egyptian hieroglyphics, and Egyptian script characters.
The Rosetta Stone is very important because people used it to decipher hieroglyphics and learn more about ancient Egypt.
In 1793, Napoleon’s army found the stone in Northern Egypt. Since 1802, the stone has been at the British Museum in London. Egyptian archaeologists asked England to return the stone to Egypt, but they didn’t do it.
Ideas are changing now, and many museums are returning artifacts to their home countries. Egyptian archaeologists hope that the returns will help their situation, and the Rosetta Stone will finally return to Egypt.
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.