Rhino Embryos – level 2
There are five kinds of rhinos on the planet, and all of them are endangered. One of the reasons is poaching because poachers hunt rhinos as people from Asia buy their horns.
The most endangered kind of rhino is the northern white rhino. Sudan was the last male northern white rhino, and he died in 2018. Now, there are only two northern white rhinos left. They are both female.
Scientists are trying to save the northern white rhino. They took two eggs from the female rhinos, and they fertilized them with frozen sperm. They created two northern white rhino embryos, and they hope that they can save the white rhino.
Difficult words: endangered (in danger of dying out), poach (to illegally hunt or catch animals), fertilize (make a female’s egg start to turn into a baby), embryo (a very small baby; you can put embryos into other females so they can grow into bigger babies).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos