Rich parents help children get into universities – level 2
Last week, a court in Boston, USA, said that two rich fathers paid money to get their children into elite US universities. Their children attended as athletic recruits, but the children were not real athletes.
In 2018, one man paid 300,000 dollars to get his daughter into a university in California as a basketball recruit. The other man paid 220,000 dollars to get his son to the same university as a water polo recruit. In 2018, he paid one million dollars to get his two daughters into other universities.
The verdict was very important for students who worked hard to get into universities and their parents. The verdict showed that even rich and powerful people can not do anything that they want.
Difficult words: elite (a person, place, or thing that is part of the richest, most powerful, or best educated people), recruit (a new person who joins a team or activity), verdict (a court’s opinion).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos