River on Fire – level 2
An Australian member of parliament was on a boat in a river. He then put a lighter in the river and set it on fire! Someone filmed everything.
The river is in Queensland and there is a fracking site just a kilometer away. Methane is coming up and that is what was on fire.
The lawmaker wants to put a stop to this.
Difficult words: fracking (putting something in the ground to make gas or oil come out), site (area, the place where something happens), methane (a type of gas which can get on fire).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What action is the lawmaker taking to put a stop to the fracking site near the river?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos