Robot in Streets – level 2
Police in Tunis, the capital of Tunisia, are using a special robot. The robot is patrolling the streets of the city, and it is checking people´s IDs. The police operate it remotely because they do not want to get in contact with people who can be ill.
Tunisia has more than 500 confirmed cases of the coronavirus, and the country has been on lock down for almost three weeks. When the robot sees people in the street, it asks them to show their IDs and papers that show that they have a good reason to be outdoors. It has special cameras that check people´s temperature, and it has a sound and light alarm system.
A Tunisian company built the robot, and it is selling the robot mostly overseas. It costs more than $100,000, and companies use it for safety.
Difficult words: patrol (to walk around an area and guard it), ID (an identification card or a document; any official card or document with a person´s name and photograph), remotely (from a distance).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.