Robots can reproduce – level 2
US scientists made the first living robots which looked like the computer game character Pac Man. An AI made the robots, which scientists called Xenobots, and they were the first robots which could reproduce or make copies of themselves.
Scienists made the robots from skin cells from frog eggs. They put the cells together, and the cells started to move in water. They formed into pellets, and scientists wanted to see what would happen if they changed some pellets with more frog cells. They did this, and a few days later, the pellets started to reproduce.
The way that the robots reproduced is very different, as no plants or animals do it this way. Scientists are now deciding how they can use this technology. It is clear that there will be strict rules about it in the future.
Difficult words: AI (Artificial intelligence, when computers or other machines can do things which people usually do), cell (the smallest part of a living thing), pellet (a small rounded piece of a thing).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.