Rohingya Muslims – level 2
The Myanmar government set up a committee to investigate strong military action in Rakhine State in 2017. It was said that there was genocide against Rohingya Muslims; however, there was no evidence of it.
The committee said that there was no genocide against the Rohingya. However, war crimes and violations of human rights took place. Since 2017, thousands of people have died and more than 700,000 ran away to Bangladesh.
Some people criticize the report, and they say that Myanmar is trying to hide the truth about the genocide.
The report came out only a few days before the United Nation’s top court decides on an emergency plan in the genocide case against Myanmar.
Difficult words: committee (a group of people who investigate a situation), genocide (the deaths of a large group of people, usually of the same nationality or ethnic group), violation (an action against something).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.