Rubbish Mountain – level 2
A 50-meter-high rubbish mountain is in Leningrad region, Russia, and local people are not happy with it.
50 years ago, the landfill was used only for building waste, but now, all kind of waste ends up there. The landfill takes up 33 hectares of land, and it holds about 30 million cubic meters of trash. Every day, big trucks bring around 1,000 tons of new rubbish, and officials worry about its impact on the environment.
Local people say that they cannot breathe if the wind blows from the side of the landfill. Dangerous gasses started to come out from the site, and an environmental organization asked the owner to stop bringing more waste there.
A court said that activity on the landfill could continue. People started to protest, but they said that nobody was listening to them.
Difficult words: rubbish (things which people do not want and they throw them away), landfill (a place where people put things which they do not want to the ground), waste (material which is not useful anymore and people throw it away).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos