Russia and the Olympics – level 1
The World Anti-Doping Agency checks that athletes do not dope. To dope is when athletes take drugs which help them get better at a sport. These drugs are not legal.
The agency finds out that many Russian athletes dope at the 2014 Olympics in Sochi, Russia. A laboratory in Moscow tests Russian athletes. The laboratory changes their results.
Russian officials know about it. It is a big scandal. A court stops Russian athletes from all sports events for four years.
Another court makes a change last week. Russian athletes can be at sports events. They cannot represent Russia at the next two Olympics. They cannot represent any country.
Many world athletes are angry. They think that Russian athletes must not be at the Olympics.
Difficult words: laboratory (a place where scientists check drugs and chemicals), scandal (an action or event which many people think is wrong), represent (to officially work or speak for a company or country).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos