Russia and Ukraine – level 2
In 2014, Russian soldiers came to Crimea, and they took the area by force. Crimea was a part of Ukraine, and since that time, the situation between Russia and Ukraine was very bad. A war started in February 2014.
The war lasted almost eight years, 14,000 people died, and millions of people left their homes. The two countries ended the war, but the peace did not last. Now, Russia is sending thousands of soldiers to the border with Ukraine, and world leaders worry that another war could start soon.
Russia said that it did not plan to invade or take control of Ukraine. At the same time, Russian president Vladimir Putin said that he did not want Ukraine to become a part of NATO or the North American Treaty Organization where Ukraine would get help from other countries.
Difficult words: take an area by force (to use violence or threats to control a place), peace (the situation when there is no war), border (the line between two countries).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos