Russia attacks Ukrainian cities – level 2
On Saturday, an explosion destroyed the Kerch Bridge which linked Russia to Crimea. Russia opened the bridge in 2018, four years after it illegally annexed Crimea, and the bridge became a symbol of this event.
The Russian president said that Ukraine was responsible for the explosion, and he called it a terrorist attack. Two days later, Russia responded to the attack, and Russian rockets hit 12 Ukrainian cities. In Kyiv, the strike came in the morning, when the streets were full of cars and people. Rockets hit roads, bridges, parks, a government building, and a power plant. In Lviv, rockets missed cables that brought electricity to the city.
The Ukrainian president said that Russia’s plan was to hurt people and to damage the energy infrastructure.
Difficult words: annex (to take an area of land or a country by force), symbol (a thing that represents something), energy infrastructure (structures and equipment which bring electricity to buildings).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.