Russia drug scandal – level 2
Last year, Russian figure skater Kamila Valieva competed at the Russian National Championship. After the competition, Valieva tested positive for an illegal heart drug.
Valieva said that she made a mistake, and she took her grandfather’s heart pills. A few months later, officials allowed her to compete at the Beijing Winter Olympics, where she won the gold medal.
Russia’s anti-doping agency started to investigate the doping scandal, and this week, it knew the results. The agency won’t say the results because it wants to protect the skater. Only the agency knows the results. It said it follows all international and Russian anti-doping rules.
Difficult words: drug (a medicine), anti-doping agency (an organization which checks if athletes take illegal medicines), scandal (an event which makes many people angry).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos