Russia takes Ukrainian areas – level 2
On Friday, the Russian president Vladimir Putin annexed four Ukrainian areas. The regions were Donetsk, Luhansk, Kherson, and Zaporizhzia, and together, they are nearly 20% of Ukraine.
Last week, referendums happened in all four regions, and most people voted that they wanted to be part of Russia. Many other people believe that the referendums weren’t fair. In some places, soldiers went to people’s homes to get their votes.
Putin asked Ukraine to stop fighting and start talks, but he said that the four regions would be part of Russia forever. The US president Joe Biden and other world leaders said that they would never recognize the regions as Russian.
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.