Russian Internet – level 2
Russian President Vladimir Putin signed new laws last Wednesday. Their aim is to create the country’s own Internet, and this would mean that the Russian Internet would not need international servers.
The Russian government could take control in case of danger to the stable and safe operation of the Russian Internet in the Russian territory. Russia plans to test this new system later this year and the laws will take effect in November.
However, there are critics of the new system – they that say this could lead to censorship. Some fear Russia could create its version of China’s Great Firewall, which China uses to hinder free speech.
There were reports that Russia tried to stop free speech on the Internet before. For example, it banned some sites and messaging platforms. Since 2014, blogs which are visited by more than 3,000 people a month must be registered.
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.